Hello Fans, Friends and Family

Friday, April 23rd.  It’s been a few days since I have last written because I have no internet service at times.  Remember, even when I have no internet service you can still go to my website and track me on my GPS SPOT.  It is always working and shows where I am all the time I am riding.  I will catch you up from the first blog you missed and will end with today’s blog followed by all the pictures as they occured.

Tuesday, April 20th:  I went with Judy as she drove across the bridge to Washington to get the tire replaced on the motor home.  I waited with her until it was done to make sure everything was ok.  They had the tire replace very quickly and it was not as expensive as we had expected.  (about $300).  After the tire was replaced and paid for Judy drove me back to the bridge on the Washington side by Maryhill.  The weather is cooler than it has been the last couple of days and looks like it could rain.  The day started out well.  Easy hills and a great tail wind.  And sure enough…25 miles down the road the rain caught up with me.  Guess I wasn’t pedaling fast enough.  The rain wasn’t too bad.  I only had my windbreaker on and barely noticed the rain.  Took a picture of the river from the Washington side.  The traffic on this side of the road is very light but seems to have a few more rollies.  Saw my first center-pivot in action since I have been on this ride.  Probably see a few more before my ride is over, especially when I get into farming areas.  I took a different route than Judy for about 15 miles.  I don’t think she could have followed me through this tunnel.  It was neat riding through it and seeing the “light at the end of the tunnel”.  Found a place to camp for the night.  It is a campsite near Wallula Lake.  It is maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers and is free to use up to 14 days.  There are no hookups, but that’s alright…we’ll be leaving in the morning.  Even though the ride today did not start until 10:15AM I was still able to get 96 miles by around 5:30PM.  Now it’s time for dinner and relaxation until the ride tomorrow morning.  So until next time…Saving Lives One Mile at a Time – – – Wes & Judy    http://www.jacobsonexpress.com

Wednesday, April 21st.  This is our second day with no internet service.  Posting of our blogs have to wait until we have internet service or a wi-fi connection.  In the meantime you can still track where I am on my ride by going to the website and clicking the ‘where am I?’ button.  Today the skies are very dark and looks like rain.  I will put on my rain gear just in case and start riding.  There is a very strong wind today and it happens to be a tailwind.  As I was leaving Oregon for the last time I came upon a ‘Welcome to Washington’ sign.  As I looked behind me the ‘Welcome to Oregon’ sign was also there.  It is amazing how I can stand in one spot and take a picture of both signs and see such a drastic change of landscape.  I didn’t always have a tailwind today.  Sometimes while going around bends in the road I would get caught in crosswinds that can make keeping the bike straight and out of the car lanes difficult at times.  After going through the town of Walla Walla and all through the countryside were miles and miles of onion fields.  It looks just like large clumps of bright green grass and is grown in fields and on the hillsides as well.  Judy  said it was time to empty  the sewer in our motor home so I found a Lewis & Clark State Park campground for her.  She was not happy as she thought the roads were too narrow and she had a hard time getting through.  Silly me, I thought there was plenty of room when I rode my bike through there.  We did get the sewage dumped and headed back on our way.  Still having mostly tailwinds and no rain drops at all.  After 90 miles of cycling found a nice wide spot in the road on Hwy 12 with a center pivot across the street in an onion field.  We are about 20 mile or so west of Pomeroy, WA and not sure what lies ahead so we will spend the night here.  So until next time…Saving Lives One Mile at a Time – – – Wes & Judy    http://www.jacobsonexpress.com

Thursday, April 22nd: Before retiring for the night Judy had me take a picture of the sunset as it set behind the hills. I have to admit it is a beautiful sunset. Got up early this morning after a night of what sounded like gale force winds. It was a good thing we had the back of the motor home facing the wind otherwise we might have been rock and rolling all night. It was pretty cloudy and still very windy but I didn’t think it looked like rain so I only wore my windbreaker. About 2 or 3 miles down the road the rains started. I figured I was too far to turn back now, so I kept riding. About an hour later Judy showed up and pulled into a parking area just ahead of me. I got in and we waited the rain out for about 2 hours. This time I put my rain gear on and headed on down the road. It never rained again the rest of the day and the skies only got clearer the farther I rode. Stopped in an RV camp called Hell’s Canyon Resort to get the best option for the direction to travel. Thought about whether or not to stay but it was still early and wanted to get a few more miles in for the day. They offered to let us dump our sewage and fill with water, but since we had just recently dumped we just filled our fresh water tanks and headed on our way. Judy took the main highway and I cycled through the town until both paths came together. Crossed over into Idaho today and took a picture of the road that lay ahead. Lots of hills and nice roads. Mostly tailwinds all day. As I reached the summit of one hill I saw a sign that said steep downhill next 5 miles. It was about a 6 or 7 percent grade with very nice roads, very little traffic, no intersections and a strong tailwind. What more could you ask?  After the 5 miles it was still a downhill grade only not as steep for at least another 10-15 miles. Finally caught up with Judy parked on the side of the road again. Checked in with her and she sent me ahead to see if I could find a nicer spot to spend the night. About another 5 miles up the road was a little area where they allow over night parking for up to 14 days. It is at Gibbs Eddy along the Clearwater River. Today I cycled 70 miles and we are in Idaho between Lewiston and Orofino. Looking forward to another day of riding tomorrow, and until then….Saving Lives One Mile at a Time – – – Wes & Judy      



Now we are up to today, Friday, April 23rd.  Today’s ride was only 53 miles.  Total cycling mileage for this week of riding is 388 miles giving me a total of 1785 miles for the first 4 weeks of cycling.  A beautiful day.  Cold, not much wind and mostly a gradual elevation gain.  Judy made reservations for us to stay at The Lewis & Clark RV Resort in Kamiah, Idaho.  Todd and Kristy were working there.  Kristy said she had seen me the other day in Lewiston and honked at me because she had seen Judy’s RV earlier behind me.  It was time for us to do laundry again and showers didn’t sound that bad either.  Because we were doing the bike ride for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, they said we could stay 2 nights for just $5.00 to cover the cost of electricity.  On the way here today had quite a few views of the river, the roads were very nice but sometimes narrow bike lanes.  Traffic was very courteous to me.  Sometimes drivers go way out around me even when I don’t think it is necessary.  On the way into Kamia saw a house all decked out with gnomes and other lawn ornaments.  Quite festive looking.  Planning on having dinner at the Sacajawea Cafe which is at the campsite.  The menu tonight is either Prime Rib or Catfish.  I think we’ll make this stop one of our mini vacations.   Remember that this ride is being done to raise money and awareness for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  All donations can be made by going to our website at http://www.jacobsonexpress.com.  And until next time….Saving Lives One Mile at a Time – – – Wes & Judy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: