Hello Fans, Friends and Family

Saturday, August 14th:  Once we were in bed last night, we heard the pitter-patter of raindrops on our roof.  This morning the rain is gone, although it is still quite cloudy.  I start out my ride and after about 5 miles I get to an intersection that says Hwy 301 North to the right, Hwy 301 South to the left, or Hwy 301 Bypass straight ahead.  I decide to take the Bypass and a short distance later the road sign says I am on Hwy 25 North.  After about 2 miles I stop in a gas station to check on directions.  I am told I cannot get to where I am going on this road.  I need to go back 2 miles and turn right on Hwy 301 South.  I found out later that Judy made the same mistake, so I don’t feel so bad.  I am now on  the right road and after 28 miles I arrive in the town of Claxton.  It is the Fruit Cake Capital of the World.  Claxton was founded in 1890 and Claxton Bakery, where they make their world famous Claxton Fruit Cake, has been around since 1910 and is celebrating it’s 100th birthday this year.  I stood outside of the building and tried to take a picture of what was on the inside.  Most of what I got was a reflection.  Does that make me a fruit cake?  Their busy season is from August 30th to December 20th, when they bake 90,000 pounds of fruit cake a day.  They make two kinds of fruit cake, light and dark.  They sell 9 times more of the light fruit cake than they do of the dark.  We bought a few pounds of the light fruit cake from Abe for our journey.  That should last us for awhile.  You can order the best fruit cake in the world on their website:  www.claxtonfruitcake.com.  Another 20 miles down the road and I see a pick-up truck advertising “Hot Boiled Peanuts”.  I have seen quite a few of these lately and I couldn’t stand it any longer.  I had to stop in and see what they were all about.  The man selling the peanuts is Eugene Edwards.  He said they pick the peanuts when they are green, wash them and boil them in salted water.  He gave me a sample and while I was eating it, Judy called me.  She is waiting for me just a few blocks up the road at Piggly Wiggly grocery store.  I buy a small bag for Judy and me to have as a snack.  They are different, but quite tasty.   Judy says the taste reminds her of ham and bean soup without the soup.  She had to get a picture of me eating the peanuts.

  After enjoying our peanuts, I was getting ready to continue my ride and noticed my rear tire was losing air.  As I was repairing my flat tire a car drove up to me and asked if I was the guy on the news who was bicycling for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  His name is Ernest Riner and was very glad to hear about my ride as his mother died from Leukemia 13 years ago.  He said he would make a donation and spread the word about my ride.  You may make a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by visiting http://www.gsf.lls.llsevent.org/JACOBSONEXPRESS.   I still have another 15 miles to cycle today, so it is time to saddle up and ride.  When I get close to our destination it is starting to rain.  Judy passes me a short time later and I give her my usual wave as she passes.  She pulls over and offers me a ride the rest of the way.  It is only another 4 miles, so I agree.  After 70 miles of cycling we are now at Walmart in Jesup, GA.  It is still raining and I am hoping it clears up by morning when I will continue my ride into the state of Florida.  Until next time . . . Saving Lives One Mile at a Time – – – Wes & Judy      http://www.jacobsonexpress


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: